August 25, 2008

Potty training - yuck!

Poor little Devin started potty training today. I've put it off long enough. His program supervisor has been after me about this for a few months now and I kept finding excuses to not start. My theory has always been to let them do it themselves and then there won't be any accidents, so this is really my first attempt at potty training. Not fun! I decided to go ahead and give it a try since there is a chance that he won't qualify for services through the school district now that his delays aren't so severe anymore. If that's the case then we are on our own for preschool and no private preschools take kids that aren't potty trained. Above is the first time he had an accident and was put on the toilet. He held it for almost 3 hours and we had been taking him to the toilet every 20 minutes. He wasn't happy about being wet. After this he figured out how to stop the flow before it was a full fledged accident, thank goodness. Then we finally had success as you can see from this photo. That is Jennifer, his E.C.I. (therapist) cheering him on as he has success.

He's still a work in progress, but we're hopeful it will click soon and we can say goodbye to diapers. Gosh, we've been changing diapers for 8 years now. I can't imagine what that will be like. I can't wait!

4 comments:

Mom said...

I have just two words for you, my dear daughter:
HAVE FUN! Hee, hee, hee.....

Suzanne said...

That will be a happy day when there are no more diapers! Good Luck:)

Donna said...

YEAH for Devin - it was fun catching up on the blog today!!

Anonymous said...

Good Luck!!! Don't ya just love potty training! I guess we all had to do it!