August 18, 2008

Where has the time gone?

And I'm not just talking about summer. I'm talking about how in the world do Kirk and I have a 3rd grader and kindergartner?! It seems like only last year that Justin started kindergarten. I missed that day because I was on bedrest with Devin. Kirk got the honor of taking our oldest to his first day of school that year. Just look at how cute he is in this picture taken 3 years ago. Again...where does the time go? I remember being so sad that I didn't get to participate in that exciting (and to him...traumatizing) time in his little life. Luckily he had a good daddy to help him through that.
And here he is - a proud 3rd grader and not so excited to be starting up school again so soon.Avery, on the other hand, couldn't get there soon enough. She's been asking all summer...no, make that since she turned 5 in February, when she gets to go to school at Justin's school. Now I got my turn to take our child to their first day of school. We got there a little early to take a few pictures first. Aren't they sweet?After dropping Justin at his class Avery and I headed over to Avery's class. We got lucky and got Mrs. Oakes. Justin had about an hour with her when he was in kindergarten and his class and her class overlapped. Those were the good ol' days when they went for 3.5 hours. Now they go from 8:58 (I know...what?!) to 3:22! At age 5! Such a long day for those young kids. Oh, don't even get me started on that soap box. It's a very sore subject with me. ANYWAY, the parents come the first day and then it's an early release just so they can get a feel for it before staying so long.She was very excited to have a couple of church friends (Jake Draeger and Dallin Waldron) in her class.
And so we're off for another exciting school year. I just can't believe it's here already and that we now have TWO kids in elementary school.

5 comments:

Hillary said...

Just for the record your kids are so cute. I am a little sad that Trevor is not in Kindergarten with all the kids. But at the same time I am very happy he is not in kindergarten. That is so great that Avery, Jake, & Dallin are all together.

Jennifer said...

How fun to have friends in your class! Those guys will be such good buddies...Tate and Connor Robinson got in the same class and they love being together too...It is crazy that these kids are in school...I remember having them in nursery still!

Suzanne said...

You know what that means... You are getting old!! I get choked up just thinking of next week when Spencer goes to kindergarten. I'm sure I will be a nervous wreck the first week wondering if the bus gets there and if he is able to find his class ok. Yikes:) That does sound like a long day at kindergarten. Ours is only 2.5 hrs. and I'm wishing it was at least an hour longer but all day would be a bit much. Good Luck! Enjoy your alone time with Devin.

Donna said...

tell me about it... I have one that will be going to HIGH SCHOOL next year - she's big woman on campus with 8th grade... Angela is now in 3rd - they will never be in the same school again :o( How sad!

Donna said...

I just re-read this. Yes, I was shocked when school started here and it's full day kindergarten - it was 1/2 day in Utah as well. Shocking to me. AND they don't get the recesses that we used to get all through elementary - we had three recesses - one in the morning, one after lunch and one in the afternoon - and we wonder why our children are getting fat? We train them to sit on their bums still for the entire day... what training, hu?