April 28, 2009

Spring Fling 2009

It's been a pretty full few days. It started out on Saturday with our annual family spring fling held in Yucaipa, followed by Kirk's birthday on Sunday and Kirk's dad's surgery for his stomach cancer on Monday. So, let me back up a little. Saturday. I have mixed feelings about that day. We had a great time at Avery's game in the morning and then having the opportunity to hang out with my family is always a treat. The kids had a great time playing with cousins and we adults had a great time catching up and playing around a bit too! After a bit my mom, Jean and I went over with Kenny K to see Janey. Janey is my cousin that has been stricken with lung cancer. She has been putting up a good fight for 2 1/2 years now, but now the disease is winning. It was heartbreaking to go over there knowing it will be my last time here on earth to see her, hug her and give her my love. I love her so much. But I am grateful I had that opportunity. We stayed with her for only about 20 minutes as she just couldn't fight the sleep and couldn't come around to full consciousness. Then we went back over to the family get together to resume our gathering and take our traditional family picture. It just felt wrong without Janey being with us. But it was great being with my family and seeing everyone! I am so blessed to have such an awesome family!
Devin playing with one of his favorite things...a sliding door!
So, then came Sunday and it was Happy Birthday to Kirk! We had gone out to celebrate, just the two of us, on Friday night. He got a Verizon Dare phone for his birthday and a couple of little items. On Sunday morning we went over to his parents house so that he could administer a blessing for his dad before his surgery. Kirk always gives such wonderful blessings! The spirit was very strong and I think his parents were touched by their sons words and expression of love. His wonderful friend, Todd Crump, came to help too. What a great friend to do that. Thanks Todd! After a couple of hours we were off to church. That night Kirk took Justin and Avery to a baptism that was happening in our ward. I stayed home with Devin because he doesn't sit still and it wouldn't help with the reverence. :-)

Monday morning was Kirk's dads surgery. Kirk went before me. I got the kids to school and took Devin over to my friend, Natalie's (thanks a million, girl!) and then I joined them at the hospital. I stayed for as long as I could and left a few hours later with Tom still in surgery. I only missed the doctor by 1/2 hour. He did well in surgery and is now recuperating at the hospital for the next 6-10 days. Ugh. Very painful. As far as the cancer is concerned, we won't know if it's spread or any more details for a few days. Thank you for all your prayers and phone calls of concern. We appreciate it very much!

Sorry for the long entry, but it's been busy and I needed to get it all in here before there was even more to add! :-)

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

What a bitter sweet weekend. I'm glad you were able to spend time with all your family & Kirk's. I think back to the day's when you & Kirk were dating and he wasn't a member of the church. How things have changed and all for the good! I hope all goes well for his Dad.

BTW, I love your new blog look! I think you've had this one for a little while but I really like it!