September 27, 2008

Apple picking




We went to Julian today to pick apples. I've wanted to do this with the kids for a long time and finally just made it happen. Last night was a very late night. The young women had a sleep over at the YW president's house and I went over around 10:00 and didn't end up leaving until 2:00 am. We went toilet papering and I have to admit that I had a blast! Those girls keep me young...well, until I have to get up in the morning and function on little sleep. But it was worth it. So, we headed out this morning and I hadn't gotten exact directions to any particular apple picking orchard because I had read that they are everywhere. Yeah, right. Not the case or both Kirk and I are blind. Good thing my friend, Heather, had tried to give me directions to the one her family goes to. I'm not sure if we found that exact one, but it served it's purpose and I had a fantastic time watching my kids pick apples and run around. This was the perfect activity for Devin. No doors or cupboards to keep him out of. Just land and lots of room to run around. He had a ball! Before actually going to the orchard we drove around quite a bit to find somewhere and we ended up stopping in at "Moms" for ice cream and pie. My kids are always happy campers if they get dessert! I'm not a pie person, but I have to say that was the best pie ever! So, now that we have 4 bags full of apples, I'm going to be making some apple desserts this week for sure! Good thing I'm not a fruit dessert kind of person or I'd be in big trouble. So, here are some pictures I took today of the fun. And this isn't even all of them. I couldn't get enough pictures. Such a great spot for someone like me. My poor kids. Ha.



This picture made me chuckle. I got Devin in mid jump. He and Avery had a great time trying to jump from log to log.


And last, but not least and actually the first thing we did...

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

We love picking apples. We picked honeycrisp a few weeks ago and they are some of the best apples I've ever tasted. I'm going next week with Spencer's kindergarten class for their apple picking field trip. You're right, apple orchards make for some great pictures. I'm glad you finally found it so you could enjoy a fun day out!

I love toilet papering. I suggested that to my Young Women at our sleep over and they were not interested. Maybe I'll have to push the issue next time. I know they would love it and it would be good for them to "live" a little!! Those are some of my favorite memories as a youth!

Rob & Jan said...

Come on up to our place and you can pick apples off our trees. We're loaded with both red delicious and golden delicious. We're planning to juice them and make jelly and syrup for our food storage. YUMMMMY!

Donna said...

YUM!!! You know I noticed the fruit on the road and didn't put two and two together last weekend. Der, *I* should have brough home apples for my girls - you know how they love produce VBG - Suz, they were seriously more thrilled over the HUGE lemon from your yard than anything I have EVER brought them!! Maybe apples would have been just as much of a hit?

Anonymous said...

I love that after you stayed up so late the night before you still took your kids on an outing the next day. So many good memories!!!