January 14, 2009

Fun times with friends

Today for play school one of the moms set up a field trip to the fire station. My first thought was oh no! But then I had to remind myself how much growing up Devin did over Christmas break. When I told him we were going he was very excited. And he did great! He really had a fun time and was good at standing there and listening. I was so proud of him and so happy! At one point on the tour of the fire house the fireman showed the kids what to do if your clothes catch fire. He told them to stop, drop and roll and that's what Devin did...right over the fireman's legs. He had fun rolling around down there with his new friend.
So much fun!
Then later we had Avery's friends from church/school over for a couple of hours. They had a great time. For snack they decorated their own cookies with the left-over frosting I had from last weeks play school. Fun times!
Just a note of something Devin said last week that shocked me and thrilled me and I don't want to forget. I was up in my room putting laundry away with the door closed. I heard the kids fighting downstairs and then Devin came quickly up the stairs yelling for me. So, I opened the door and asked him what was wrong. He said "Avery's being mean". I asked him what she did not thinking he would really tell me, but he surprised the heck out of me with "Avery said you're stupid"! And he certainly wasn't happy about it. I know that this little tattling bit doesn't seem like much, but it really is. It just shows us how much more in tune he is to what is going on around him and is learning from his brother and sister. That just made my day!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Love Devon's "tattling" story...So cute!

Linda Liebhardt said...

Oh, that's so exciting to see such milestones just rolling right on over you! Kind of like rolling over a fire-man's legs, right? ha What a cute family you have, Suz. I do enjoy reading your blog. You do such a nice job.

Donna said...

Watch out world, now no-one is safe from Devin keeping them in line :o) Good for you!! Every litle step is wonderful!