July 4, 2008

Fourth of July!

Happy 4th to everyone! Our day was pretty low key this year. We spent the first part of the day doing a few errands. In the afternoon I made homemade salsa (yum!) and frosted the rest of the cupcakes for dessert at night. Our eventful evening started out with dinner. The kids love the Fourth of July because they get to have chips with dinner, which is unheard of at our house. It's the simple things, isn't it?

We then moved outside and did a few poppers followed by the red, white and blue cupcakes. Fun for the tongue!

The above picture of the kids at the fence is almost a nightly or daily occurrence. They play with the little boy next door this way all the time. That's Hunter in the middle.

We then did some sparklers and some very noisy and illegal fireworks in the backyard on a make shift table. We cut the fireworks short because they were way too noisy and we were afraid we'd get the police sicked on us from unhappy neighbors.


Some more sparklers (Devin had gone inside because the fireworks scared him) and then we went out front to watch the city's fireworks show. We couldn't see them all, but we could see the higher ones. It wasn't our most exciting 4th of July ever, but hopefully we made some memories and the kids had fun. All in all it was a good day.

I am so grateful to be one of the priviledged to live in America and enjoy all our freedoms and all the small things we take for granted so much. I love our country and am proud to call myself an American. I'm thankful for all those who are out there serving our country proudly and I pray that they will return safely to their families. Happy birthday, America!

5 comments:

Mom said...

Oh, Suz, you are so patriotic! Good for you!
And, I'm sure your kids will remember the "little" things you do tradition-wise. Like having chips with dinner on the Fourth. What a simple thing, but so special to them. :-) Happy Fourth.

Linda Liebhardt said...

How'd you do that cool sparkler picture with all the movement? do you actually know how to adjust the settings on your camera? I'm so impressed!
Happy Fourth!
And my condolences on the loss of your family cat. Was she the great big one that made you say "Wow" about her size? Hard to tell on the photo. The camera adds 10 pounds they say.;-)

Hillary said...

Way to chicken out on the fireworks. I don't blame you. I heard the fine would be pretty hefty.

Suzanne said...

I love the 4th! I'm so impressed you don't eat chips with dinner. My husband would not be a fan if I pulled that rule out. It looks like you had a great time. We did sparklers for the first time this year and it was a great time! I love how your kids play with the neighbor boy!

Donna said...

sounds like a fun filled fourth! I'll update my blog when the world stops rocking sooooo much ...